MARITIME MANAGER/SUPERINTENDENT- CDI
Mise en ligne : 25 mai 2022
Clôture : 20 juin 2022
Localisation : France (preferably Marseille) or Italy
Objet de la mission
SOS MEDITERRANEE is a civil European rescue association founded in 2015. Facing the humanitarian tragedy and the lack of adequate rescue capacity in the Mediterranean on the deadliest migratory route in the world, a group of European citizens created a maritime and humanitarian association in order to rescue persons in distress at sea, to protect and assist them, as well as to testify about the realities and many faces of migration.
Today, SOS MEDITERRANEE is a network composed of four national associations (Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland) sharing the same mandate. Search and Rescue (SAR) operations have been carried out since February 2016 in the Central Mediterranean off the Libyan coasts with the chartered ships Aquarius and Ocean Viking. To date over 35.000 people have been rescued by SOS MEDITERRANEE.
SOS MEDITERRANEE is recruiting a Maritime Manager/Superintendent for its department of Operations. Based in France (preferably Marseille) or Italy, the Maritime Manager / Superintendent ensures the effectiveness and the performance of the chartered vessel, in a challenging, highly sensitive and quick evolving European environment.
According to the priorities defined by the Department of Operations and with the overall strategy of the SOS MEDITERRANEE network, the Maritime Manager is responsible for various technical aspects onboard the vessel dedicated for the SAR mission in the Central Mediterranean:
Focal point between shipowner and SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Maintains/ensures a good cooperation for the technical, legal and administrative aspects related to the flag, classification societies, which triggers follow-ups over phone, emails and/or visio conference
- Ensures the level of preparedness of the vessel to be active at sea most of the time: with the support of relevant colleagues, prepares, develops & drives the strategy for the planned technical modifications and consequent SOPs, including relevant stakeholders and onboard management when necessary.
- Follows shipowner HR crew movements to be in line with the planning of the vessel. Ensures the crewing SOPs or guidelines are adopted when needs be.
- Can proactively make suggestions to the shipowner regarding improvements or maintenance and ensures implementation.
- In case it is necessary, can be directly involved in search of new ship, flag or in reviewing technically the chartering relation.
- Is the focal point of the shipowner for all Port State Control related action.
Responsible for the maintenance related to SOS installations, materials and properties onboard the vessel
Maintains and/or improves/upgrades the current installations depending on the needs (feedbacks from crew) and depending on the context, in a safe way and in line with the regulations, and in a cost-effective approach, in line with the allocated budget from the organisation.
Focal point between ship and shore for developing/implementing the maintenance – follow-up through different shared tools. Consequently, in touch with logistics and purchase department. Supports other onboard departments (SAR, Medical, Care, Logistics) to define and install new identified tools onboard and consequently built-in teams the related SOPs.
- Plans, coordinates & supervises maintenance tasks during port of calls/docking or shipyards with the following stakeholders: shipowner, shipyard manager, service providers, external companies, maritime agent.
- Ensures there are no conflicts between planned jobs.
- Anticipates parts orders and purchase according to the planned jobs.
- Manages externals jobs, contracts and deliveries.
- Manages internal SOS workforce.
- Manages last minute/local purchase.
- During this entire process, reports and communicates internally on the developments and potential delivery date of work.
- Manages and follow up feedback from the onboard crew on maritime and technical aspects.
- Consequently, liaises directly with HR, SAR, Logistics, Financial internal departments & with shipowner related surveys and jobs schedule and planned maintenance.
- Follows regulations and their evolutions closely.
- Follows the context, the events, the other assets working in similar activity.
- Supports and provides advice internally on SAR equipment, HR, logistics, communication.
- Participates in or leads mid and long-term projects and updates Operations team on progress.
- Able to feel and prioritize necessary projects for the organisation.
- Follows the vessel market, that meets SOS MEDITERRANEE’s bill of lading, regularly compiled and updated.
- Attends regular meetings with other NGOs on technical aspects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- 5 years effective relevant sea-going work experience, including 2 years effective as Chief Engineer/Marine Engineer with minimum class 2 certification or equivalent.
- Previous experience with a humanitarian maritime organization helpful
- Good Knowledge of maritime law and Search and Rescue (SAR) conventions
Knowledge of maritime industry
- Demonstrated experience in shipyard organization
- Ability to discuss quotations & contracts. Ability to influence
- Fluent in English, written and spoken. Fluency in French and/or Italian helpful
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Highly computer literate. Knowledge of Naval architect software desired
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to cope with stress and work in an environment where team security is a top priority
- Teamwork, flexibility and adaptability
- Empathic and able to adapt to the situations and willing to help out in case of a change of plan
- Committed to the vision, mission, and values of SOS MEDITERRANEE
- Candidates must have work authorization in Europe
- Contract : open-ended contract (CDI)
- Starting as soon as possible
- Position preferably based in SOS MEDITERRANEE’s Operations Headquarters in Marseille, France or in Italy
- Some evenings and week-end work
- Some Europe-wide travel: The specificity of the position implies joining the vessel for most of the calls, especially when maintenance is planned, or when a shipyard is being settled.
- Annual gross salary: according to SOS MEDITERRANEE’s salary grids and to the candidate’s professio
Comment postuler ?
Please send your application (CV and cover letter) in English no later than 20 June 2022 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Application Maritime Manager – OPS” as the subject of the email. Kindly note that no information will be given by telephone.
Retrouvez l’offre en ligne ICI